Categories of Assistive Technology provided by EnableNSW
EnableNSW provides assistive technology devices in four categories:
- Respiratory function
Devices provided may be new or recycled (reallocated). Further information regarding requesting for stock item is available at Equipment Allocation Program.
The EnableNSW Forms and Guidelines have been developed in consultation with stakeholders and outline specific information regarding the functional and clinical criteria and the supply limits that apply for each device.
- Professional Criteria for Prescribers (PDF) provides information about the professional qualification and level of experience required by eligible prescribers for each device.
EnableNSW provides the most cost-effective, clinically appropriate devices that meet a person's assessed functional need and that are consistent with the EnableNSW Prescription and Provision Guidelines for those devices.
Devices provided must primarily promote long term functioning in the community,rather than provide treatment for acute and chronic care episodes, except for oxygen and some respiratory devices.
Where a consumer wishes to upgrade the device beyond that determined by the prescriber to meet their basic needs and approved by EnableNSW, they are required to pay the additional cost of that device.
EnableNSW does not provide the following:
- Devices costing less than $100, unless approved as a recurrent consumable.
- Assistive technology devices that do not comply with Australian Standards where these exist or devices that are not registered with the Therapeutic Goods Administration, as applicable.
- Assistive technology devices primarily for sport, recreational, educational or employment purposes.
- Non-disability specific items that are commercially available.
- Installation of some items such as ceiling hoist tracking.
- Reimbursement for devices already purchased or for repairs completed without approval.
- Devices used for the administration of medications (except for oxygen).