Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance
This information is for people applying for The Isolated Patients and Accommodation Scheme (IPTAAS). If you are applying for aids and equipment such as wheelchairs, ventilators and consumable items you should apply here.
The Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS) is a NSW Government initiative designed to financially assist people, particularly in isolated or rural areas, who have to travel significant distances to access specialist medical treatment which is not available locally.
Are you eligible for IPTAAS?
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a resident of NSW or Lord Howe Island and also be eligible for Medicare
- Live more than 100km from the nearest treating specialist or accumulate journeys to your treating specialist which exceed 200km within a week
- Require specialist treatment that is not available locally
- Claim all benefits available through a private health fund prior to applying to IPTAAS (if applicable)
- Not be eligible for any other government travel assistance schemes.
How to apply
The fastest and most simple way to apply and lodge your claims is to apply online. Click on the 'Apply Now' button to get started.
If this is the first time you have claimed an IPTAAS subsidy, or the last time you claimed was before April 2014, you will need to register and obtain an IPTAAS Registration Number (IPR number) before submitting your claim. You only need to do this once. For further claims, you will only need to use our simple online claim system to lodge your claim.
You can also download IPTAAS Application forms and submit these to your local IPTAAS office by email, fax or post.
View a list of our offices or call us on Ph: 1800 IPTAAS (1800 478 227) so you can forward your claims and your queries to the closest local office.
You can also apply in person at your local Service NSW Service Centre.
If you have any queries or would like assistance with your application, please contact us on Ph: 1800 IPTAAS (1800 478 227).
You can also view our helpful fact sheets for more information
Supporting evidence for your claim
- Attach travel invoices and receipts, including local and/or metropolitan taxi and/or public transport
- Have both the patient and escort sign the Centrelink declaration (Form A) to authorise IPTAAS to confirm the status of your pension or healthcare card with Centrelink. Alternatively attach a copy of your current pension/healthcare card with your claim, If you are travelling with an escort/carer, attach a copy of your escort/carer's current pension or health care card if applicable
- For approved air travel, attach the invoice or E-Ticket confirmation showing the cost of the flight
- Attach your tax invoice and receipt for any overnight commercial accommodation
- Complete and sign the payment details and certification rebate
Please note: Receipts and invoices can be the original OR a copy.
Items not claimable through IPTAAS:
- Airfare booking fees and airfare GST costs
You can calculate an estimate of reimbursement for your travel and/or accommodation costs. Enter any of the details below and click on "Calculate" to give you an estimated amount. This amount may change when we assess your claim. If you have any questions about the details provided below please contact EnableNSW or your local IPTAAS office.
Please note: A personal contribution of $40.00 will be deducted from this estimate if you are not a Pension or Health Care Card Holder.
Guidelines for Assessment
More detailed information about eligibility for assistance and our assessment criteria is included in the IPTAAS Guidelines for Assessment
Phone: 1800 IPTAAS (1800 478 227)