Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance
IPTAAS is the Isolated Patients Transport and Accommodation Assistance Scheme. This is a NSW Government initiative designed to help with the financial assistance towards travel and accommodation costs when a patient needs to travel lengthy distances for specialist medical treatment that is not available locally.
How to apply
The fastest and most simple way to apply and lodge your claims is to apply online. Click on the 'Apply Now' button to get started.
If this is the first time you have claimed an IPTAAS subsidy, or the last time you claimed was before April 2014, you will need to register and obtain an IPTAAS Registration Number (IPR number) before submitting your claim. You only need to do this once. For further claims, you will only need to use our simple online claim system to lodge your claim.
You can also download IPTAAS Application forms and submit these to your local IPTAAS office by email, fax or post.
View a list of our offices or call us on Ph: 1800 IPTAAS (1800 478 227) so you can forward your claims and your queries to the closest local office.
You can also apply in person at your local Service NSW Service Centre.
If you have any queries or would like assistance with your application, please contact us on Ph: 1800 IPTAAS (1800 478 227).
You can also view our helpful fact sheets for more information
Eligibility for IPTAAS
To be eligible to claim through IPTAAS you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a resident of NSW or Lord Howe Island
- Hold a Medicare card
- Live more than 100km from the nearest treating specialist or your combined trips to and from the specialist exceeds 200km/week
- Specialist treatment not available locally
- Not be eligible for any other government travel assistance schemes
- Not claiming expenses under Workers Compensation
- Not hold a gold DVA card (please refer to DVA for assistance)
Phone: 1800 IPTAAS (1800 478 227)