Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance
The Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS) is a NSW Government initiative designed to financially assist people, particularly in isolated or rural areas, who have to travel significant distances to access specialist medical treatment which is not available locally.
Are you eligible for IPTAAS?
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a resident of NSW or Lord Howe Island and also be eligible for Medicare
- Live more than 100km from the nearest treating specialist*
- Require specialist treatment that is not available locally
- Claim all benefits available through a private health fund prior to applying to IPTAAS (if applicable)
- Not be eligible for any other government travel assistance schemes.
*You may also be eligible if cumulative journeys to your treating specialist exceed 200km within a week.
Apply and lodge your claims online
|The fastest and most simple way to apply and lodge your claims is to apply online. Click on the 'Apply Now' button to get started.|
Application Forms and FactsheetsYou can also download IPTAAS Application forms and submit these to your local IPTAAS office by email and/or fax and post.
View a list of our offices or call us on Ph: 1800 IPTAAS (1800 478 227) so we can direct you to your local office.
You can also apply in person at your local Service NSW Service Centre.
If you have any queries or would like assistance with your application, please contact us on Ph: 1800 IPTAAS (1800 478 227).
You can also view our helpful fact sheets for more information
Supporting Evidence for your claim (checklist)
- Attach a copy of current pension or healthcare card or a signed Centrelink declaration to your claim if applicable
- If you are travelling with an escort/carer, attach a copy of your escort/carer's current pension or health care card if applicable
- Attach travel invoices and receipts, including local and/or metropolitan taxi and/or public transport
- For approved air travel, attach the invoice or E-Ticket confirmation showing the cost of the flight
- For overnight accommodation, attach receipts/tax invoices. Your commercial accommodation provider must be a registered business
- Complete and sign the payment details and certification rebate
Please note: Receipts and invoices can be the original OR a copyClick on 'View Map of Local Health Districts' to locate your nearest IPTAAS office.
Travel Reimbursement Calculator (estimates)
You can calculate an estimate of reimbursement for your travel and/or accommodation costs. Enter any of the details below and click on "Calculate" to give you an estimated amount. This is subject to change upon assessment of a claim. If you have any questions about the details provided below please contact EnableNSW or your local IPTAAS office.
Please note: A mandatory personal contribution of $40.00 will be deducted from this estimate if you are not a Pension or Health Care Card Holder.
Guidelines for Assessment
More detailed information about eligibility for assistance and our assessment criteria is included in the IPTAAS Guidelines for Assessment
Phone: 1800 IPTAAS (1800 478 227)
Fax: (02) 8797 6543
Postal: Locked Bag 5270, Parramatta, NSW, 2124
- About EnableNSW
- Applying to EnableNSW
- Forms and Guidelines
- Equipment Allocation Program (EAP)
- Statewide Paediatric Equipment (Bathing and Mobility)
- IPTAAS - Travel Assistance
- Away From Home Haemodialysis (AFHH) Program
- Useful Links
- Career Opportunities
- Contact Us
- Contact Us