Home Enteral Nutrition

Home Enteral Nutrition forms

The following Home Enteral Nutrition forms are available for general use.

Home Enteral Nutrition funding criteria

The following guideline for Home Enteral Nutrition has been developed in consultation with expert clinicians. It is designed to be a guide for the provision of equipment by EnableNSW and does not replace evidence based clinical guidelines.

Home Enteral Nutrition frequently asked questions

What is the Home Enteral Nutrition Service?

The EnableNSW Home Enteral Nutrition (HEN) Service funds some gastrostomy tubes and disposable products to help you with home tube feeding.

Am I eligible to receive assistance from EnableNSW?

To be eligible for assistance from EnableNSW, a person must be living in NSW (or Lord Howe Island), be enrolled with Medicare, require HEN for greater than 12 months, and not be eligible to receive HEN disposable products through any other government funded program. For full eligibility criteria visit Applying to EnableNSW.

What HEN disposable items are provided?

EnableNSW can fund gastrostomy tubes, extension tubes, pump feeding sets, containers and syringes (for bolus feeding and water flushes). There is an annual allocation of disposable products. Your dietitan or nurse can provide you with this information and information on buying additional items.
Your dietitian or nurse will arrange a feeding pump, if required.

How do I apply for HEN?

You need to complete an EnableNSW application form. This form is available from your dietitian or nurse, or you can download the EnableNSW application form. Your dietitian or nurse submits a HEN Equipment Request form which lists the products required. They will give you a copy of this form. You can only order products listed on the request form. A letter will be sent to you and your dietitian or nurse advising the outcome of your application. There are variable waiting times for items funded by EnableNSW. When funding is available, a second letter will be sent with information on the annual allocation of products with the advice that you should contact EnableNSW to place your first order.

How do I order products?

To place orders contact EnableNSW by phone 1800 362 253 (Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm), or email enable@health.nsw.gov.au.

Once the order has been placed, please allow at least 10 working days for your home delivery to arrive from the supplier. It is important to plan ahead to ensure that you will have sufficient products to manage your HEN needs. Please allow extra time, up to 4 weeks, for deliveries to arrive over the Christmas and Easter period.

How often can I order?

It is suggested you place orders every three to six months. Your annual allocation amount commences in the month that you place your first order and resets in this month each year.

How much does it cost?

A co-payment, for adults on a pension or low income and children up to age 16 years, is $100 in each year that assistance is provided. For adults on higher income the annual allocation of disposable products is reduced by 20%.

What if incorrect products are delivered?

When your delivery arrives, check the number of items and the product codes to ensure the delivery is complete and correct. If any items are missing or incorrect, please contact EnableNSW immediately.

What if a product is faulty?

You will need to advise your dietitian or nurse in the first instance. Also contact EnableNSW who can provide assistance in arranging a replacement product. Do not discard the faulty product as it may need to be sent to the manufacturer.

What happens if my needs change?

Your dietitian or nurse will review your needs on an ongoing basis. They will submit a new HEN equipment request form if you require a change in product size or types of items.