Moving Interstate - Aids and Equipment

Thinking about moving interstate?

There are some differences between the aids and equipment schemes in each state and territory. It’s important to plan ahead to ensure your needs will be met when you move.

What aids and equipment can I take with me when I move?

In most cases, you will be able to take your aids and equipment with you when you move interstate. You should contact EnableNSW as soon as possible to confirm what you can take.

EnableNSW can assist you to make arrangements for the transfer of any outstanding requests for new equipment or repairs and maintenance for existing equipment to your new scheme.

Once you move, the guidelines of the new equipment scheme will apply, including equipment available and any co-payments, eligibility, prioritisation and waiting list conditions. Any removal costs remain your responsibility.

If some of your equipment cannot be taken in the move or will not be suitable in your new home, you may need to make arrangements to hire or borrow items that you need in the interim.

What about regular supplies of other products? Can I get them from the new scheme?

It’s important to contact your new equipment scheme about the items they will provide, such as continence and respiratory products. They will also be able to advise on the amounts provided and any other funding schemes that may be applicable to you.

I’m on a waiting list for equipment funding, what will happen when I move?

If you are currently on a waiting list for equipment funding, your new equipment scheme will consider the date you went on the waiting list, provided that equipment is available through their scheme. Please ask EnableNSW to send a copy of your request and confirmation of your application date to the new equipment scheme.

The new equipment scheme will then advise you about availability of equipment and whether you will need a new prescription.

Will an interstate scheme take over the repairs and maintenance of my equipment?

Contact the equipment scheme in your new state/territory for information about local repairs and maintenance. Before providing you with advice, they may require some documentation from EnableNSW, such as warranty details, equipment age and repair history. They will then assess the serviceability of your equipment in your new location.

In some cases you may need to apply for a new item. If this is the case, they will provide you with information about how to do this.

What should I do with equipment I am not taking?

Contact us before you move to make arrangements to return or dispose of unwanted items.

Travelling interstate

In most cases you can take your equipment with you when you travel. We encourage you to plan ahead and make contact with authorised repairers in the area you are visiting before you travel. Any costs associated with repairs outside of NSW will be at your own expense.

If you have any doubts about your specific equipment or are concerned that a repair may be needed, contact EnableNSW well before you leave for advice.

If you need repairs while you are travelling, please contact EnableNSW to discuss your request. Repairs are generally available during normal business hours and may not be available on weekends or public holidays.

Where to get further information

Contact details for primary state and territory aids and equipment schemes are listed below.

Australian Capital Territory

ACT Equipment Scheme
Phone: (02) 6205 2599
Email: ACTES@act.gov.au

New South Wales

Contact us

Northern Territory

Territory Independence and Mobility Equipment Scheme (TIMES)
Phone: 1800 139 656

South Australia

Department for Families and Communities Equipment Program
Phone: 1300 295 786
Web: DFC Equipment Program Information for Consumers


Disability and Community Care
Phone: 1800 177 120

Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS)
Phone: (07) 3136 3636


South: (03) 6222 7226.
North: (03) 6336 5036
North West: (03) 6426 2429


Aids and Equipment Program (A & EP)
State-wide Equipment Program (SWEP)
Phone: 1300 74 7937

Western Australia

Community Aids and Equipment Program (CAEP)
Phone: (08) 9426 9285

What should I do if I have disability services as well as aids and equipment to transfer?

Contact the disability portability coordinator below who will provide you with information about the transfer of your disability services.

Contact: Laura Humphrey, Interstate Portability Coordinator
Telephone: 1800 761 030
Email: nswnipp@facs.nsw.gov.au
Post: Level 5, 83 Clarence Street, Sydney NSW 2001.

Contact EnableNSW

EnableNSW operates from Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.